I realized recently that a lot of people know me as a a social worker but not everyone knows me as a nutrition coach. I’ve been a social worker a lot longer, but both are important to who I am and what I do. Let me take a minute to tell you a few things about Kristen, the Nutrition Coach.
- By trade I am a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW). I have practiced Social Work since 2001 and have been in private practice since 2010. As a social worker, I have worked with disordered eating; body image issues; overweight and obese clients; underweight clients; clients who cant eat or eat too much due to medical, psychological or medication issues; clients who emotionally eat; clients who have food allergies, sensitivities and intolerances; clients who have behavioral reactions to food; clients who have food phobias; and clients who just don’t know how to eat. Suffice it to say I have spent a lot of clinical time talking about eating. This was the number one reason I decided to become a Nutrition Coach.
- I am a Level 1 Certified Nutrition Coach through Precision Nutrition and am currently working on completing my Level 2 certification. While this is a web based certification it is highly respected in the health and fitness world. PN is a very science based program that teaches it’s coaches cutting edge information as well as how to coach the whole person. It has taught me a lot about how the human body works and has blended well with my social work background.
- I am an avid runner. If I’m not running, I will likely be walking, lifting, hiking, working with my amazing personal trainer or taking a class at the gym. I like to be active. Because of this I have a special interest in sports nutrition. This is the second reason I wanted to become a Nutrition Coach. I was spending a lot of time teaching myself how to fuel myself, why not learn for others as well?
- I’m not perfect. I lost 30 pounds with the help of my trainer. I gained some of it back. I don’t have the perfect body. I don’t eat a perfect diet. Sometimes I feel like that might make people think I can’t help them. But, I think that means I am the best person to help you. I get it. I know what it’s like to work hard and have the scale not move. And I know why it may not be moving. I have the resources and tools to figure it out.
- I am passionate about nutrition. Well I am passionate about all things related to food really. I love to grocery shop, to cook, to eat, and to do so in a healthy but delicious way. I love my work as a Social Worker but over the past decade I have become so passionate about health and wellness. What we put in our bodies is so important. I want to help teach as many people as I can how to be healthy, eat well, and live their best life!
en bonne sante,